Top 10 Fundraising Tips
Maximize Your Fundraising
No longer feel overwhelmed with fundraising stress. Maximize your money-making efforts with these top 10 fundraising tips!
1. Utilize Online Fundraising - Connect with more potential donors by offering online fundraising opportunities.
Online Giving Tips:
- Reduce overhead costs by coordinating via online sign ups.
- Simplify communication, making giving easy and quick.
- Outline different “levels” of giving with a minimum gift.
- Allow donors to sign up “on-the-go” with their mobile device.
- Use a trusted vendor to collect payments. Check out SignUpGenius Payments.
- Customize sign ups to sell tickets, collect auction items or create wish lists.
2. Know Your Donor - Get to know your donors and identify what motivates them to give. This will help you create fundraisers that appeal to their needs.
Items to Consider:
- Analyze WHO is donating and how often.
- Research WHAT fundraising efforts have proven successful in the past.
- Identify WHERE past efforts have failed.
- Know WHEN people typically give, such as during an awareness month or particular season.
- Consider HOW donors are giving and offer various methods on your sign up. EXAMPLE
3. Appeal To Donors Needs in a Creative Way - This is the fun part! Make giving an enjoyable experience and look for opportunities to get people talking.
Tips for Trying Something New:
- Research and brainstorm creative, “buzz-worthy” ideas.
- Create a “short list” of the ideas that best match your donors needs.
- Ask for feedback from donors and board members.
- Use contests, challenges or competitions to create a social experience.
4. Tell a Compelling Story - Create passion for your cause and show your donors exactly how their donation makes a difference.
Tips for Telling Your Story:
- Use photos and videos to make your story come to life.
- Tell TRUE stories WELL. Show real lives changed.
- Make the message very clear with details or statistics that support your story.
- Share a compelling story and have a link nearby where people can donate. Sign Up EXAMPLE.
- Always state the action that you wish for donors to take. Be clear.
5. Intermix Small and Large Fundraisers - Your organization may have a main event such as a carnival, but smaller events can also be profitable and fun.
Ways to Mix It Up:
- Promote giving at all events, not just fundraisers!
- Be cautious of donor fatigue.
- Consider partnering with companies that will collect a small fee for a special lunch or dress code change (i.e. wearing jeans).
- Add an “extra” – like a photo booth, auction or bake sale - to enhance a typical event.
- Sell large event sponsorships, but also make smaller sponsorships available.
- Build a team of volunteers to take on the extra activities. Assign tasks with a sign up!
6. Communicate Regularly with Donors - Interact with potential contributors before, during and after the fundraiser.
- Use social media, email, and regular old snail mail to vary the way you reach people. Provide a link to your sign up!
- Make financial goals clear. Send updates and explain how funds are used.
- State specific needs. By creating a wish list, people can donate items instead of cash.
7. It’s All About Relationships - Contributors are motivated to give to organizations when a relationship has been established. During a fundraising event, 20% of donors will provide 80% of the donations.
Tips for Building Relationships:
- Be organized and confident.
- Convey to participants how they are a part of something “bigger.”
- Highlight and recognize volunteers in your group that have gone above and beyond.
- Communicate effectively.
- Send thank you notes!
8. Provide Donors More Than They Expect - Deliver more than they expect to receive when donors give to your organization.
Ways to Exceed Expectations:
- Show a contributor their donation’s impact with photos.
- Mention their involvement using a social media outlet (with permission).
- Send thank you notes from people whose lives were changed.
9. Track Fundraising Results - Evaluate the results of your fundraiser to decide which activities or events to repeat in the future.
Items to Consider:
- Determine the number of volunteers that the entire event required. Tally volunteer hours with SignUpGenius Pro.
- Identify repeat givers, how often they contributed and their gifts.
- Create custom reports to measure the effectiveness of your communication.
10. Let Change be your Only Constant - To ensure that your fundraising efforts evolve each year, review the performance of each event.
Tips to Promote Future Growth:
- Pinpoint your best and worst-performing events every year.
- Fail quickly. If something didn’t work, don’t do it again. Move on.
- Gather feedback from volunteers and donors.
- Use online resources to identify new trends.
Fundraising groups can boost their money-making potential by incorporating some of our expert tips. Which will you incorporate to ensure success with your next fundraiser?
Posted by Kate White
There are currently no comments for this page.
Post Your Comment
NOTE: You do not need an account to post. For the ability to delete, create an account.
Love, LOVE, LOVE this program!!! Volunteering is my second job to motherhood/womanhood and I was TIRED of frustrating efforts to make life a little easier so when a fellow mom introduced me to SignUpGenius I was hooked the very first time! I want to let the SignUpGenius creators and workers know how grateful I am for this amazing tool. It has increased the joy and decreased the stress!!!
Anne Johnson -
See what others say
Recent Nonprofits Articles